Volunteers are the heart and soul of New Haven Reads, and we are always accepting new applications.
A Step-by-Step Guide
Volunteer at New Haven Reads
Learn More About Our Volunteer Opportunities Below
Literacy TutorTutors provide one-on-one reading instruction for students ages 6-18. You don’t need any prior experience teaching or working with children, just a love of reading and a desire to help a child succeed.
- Time Commitment: One hour per week, Monday-Friday 3-6pm or Saturday 10-2pm.
- Training: A one hour training session and a site orientation is required before your first session. You may also shadow a session, and in-depth trainings occur 3-4 times each year.
- How to Apply: Submit our Volunteer Application and select “Tutoring” as your preferred volunteer area.
Book BankWe have limited opportunities at this time. Book Bank volunteers accept book donations, sort and shelve books, and fill book orders for pick-up by community organizations. Also, book lovers beware: you will find many books to take home!
- Time Commitment: One shift of 2-3 hours per week. Shifts are on weekdays between the hours of 12 PM and 4 PM.
- Training: On-site orientation is provided during your first shift.
- How to Apply: Submit our Volunteer Application and select “Book Bank” as your preferred volunteer area.
Field TripsWe have limited opportunities at this time. Field trip volunteers work in pairs to help run the field trips program for Pre-K through 5th grade classes from the Greater New Haven area. During each class visit, volunteers read stories out loud and help each student pick out five books.
- Time Commitment: One field trip per week for an entire school year. Field trips visit Tuesday-Friday mornings.
- Training: On-site orientation is provided prior to your first field trip, and shadowing is also an option.
- How to Apply: Submit our Volunteer Application and select “Field Trip Reader” as your preferred volunteer area.