Looking Back: A Year in Review
This year NHR reached a HUGE milestone: for the first time EVER, 600 students enrolled in the tutoring program! This week we’re celebrating our community’s accomplishments by taking a look back at some other highlights from the school year.
The Tutoring and Pre-K/Kindergarten Programs
- By March 2019, 608 students were attending 762 tutoring hours EACH WEEK.
- All 608 students were supported by 454 amazing tutors.
- Approximately 25% of students in the tutoring program took this year’s CORE test. Of those students, 72% improved at least one grade level (or more) in their independent reading level!
- In addition, 46 more students participated in 10 Pre-K and Kindergarten classes.
The Book Bank and Field Trip Programs
- The Book Bank distributed 116,176 books to the greater New Haven community.
- Of those books, 11,676 went to 2,013 students who visited us from 36 different schools through the field trips program.
In October 2018, the Board of Alders honored NHR with the Mentorship Award, given to individuals and organizations making an impact in New Haven.
In April 2019, the New Haven Alumnae chapter of Delta Sigma Theta sorority honored NHR with the 2019 Youth Development Community Award.
Finally, in June NHR staff participated in the Freddy Fixer Parade for the 2nd year in a row. This year we created our very first float, and we gave out more than 1500 books!
As we look ahead, we’re excited to continuing growing and serving even more students with the support of parents, volunteers, and other community members.