New Haven Reads provides free one-on-one tutoring for children who are struggling with reading. We also offer a free Kindergarten and Pre-K program, and enrichment summer clubs. We serve students from across the Greater New Haven area each week at four program sites. In addition, we also provide free, gently-used books to the public, teachers, and community organizations through our community Book Bank. Funding for these internships is provided by First Niagara Foundation in partnership with KeyBank.
Duties and Responsibilities for Summer Intern:
● One-on-one tutoring of students ages 6 through 18 (primarily in reading), in-person and/or online
● Planning and running a summer Math Club as well as an additional enrichment club (e.g., Chess Club, Art Club, Science Club), in-person and/or online
● Supporting Site Staff in monitoring programs and tutoring pairs, in-person and/or online
● General office and administrative work – e.g. data input, research, filing
● Sorting and packing books for our Book Bank, if internship offered is in-person
● Flexibility and patience for an in-person, hybrid or remote internship placement
● Experience tutoring or working with elementary and/or middle school students
● Must be a rising college freshman with a high school G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher or a current
college student with a G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher
● Previous experience working with children in an online or remote learning environment
● Resident of New Haven County
● Math tutoring experience
● Resident of New Haven
● Fluent in Spanish
Interns will attend Orientation sessions as well as training in our NHR Program model including Distance Learning. Additional training will be provided based upon placement site (e.g., Book Bank).
The internship will run for seven consecutive weeks starting on Monday, June 28th and ending on Friday, August 13th. (New Haven Reads will be closed on Monday, July 5th.) The first week will be committed to orientation and training for a total of 20 hours. The remaining six weeks of the position will be 27 hours per week. During this time, we operate Monday through Friday 1-6:30 pm. Candidates must be available the entire 7 weeks and be willing to work in-person if offered the position. Appropriate safety measures will be in place for any onsite work. Specific schedules and placements will be determined with individual applicants.
Payrate: $12 /hour ($13/hour effective 8/1/2021)
A completed NHR application (click here for the fillable PDF form) should be emailed, along with a cover letter, resume, and most recent transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Summer 2021 Internship Application” in the subject line of your email. Only complete applications will be considered and qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Four internships are currently available. Selected candidates will be notified after the interview process has closed.
Application Deadline: Friday, April 16, 2021
New Haven Reads is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Book Bank Hours
45 Bristol Street
New Haven, CT 06511
Join our e-list
Join our e-list to receive newsletters right in your inbox.
New Haven Reads increases the literacy skills of children by providing individually tailored one-on-one after school tutoring, educational family support, and a community book bank, all at no cost to participants.