Hello Spelling Bee Teams!
Thank you so much for your support of New Haven Reads! I hope you are as excited as we are for the Bee!
Below you will find important information about the night of the Spelling Bee. This is lengthy but please read it through to learn all you need to know about the Bee. If you are a team captain, please pass along this information to your teammates. In some cases, we do not have all of the contact information for the teams.
New Haven Reads 5th Annual Spelling Bee
Friday, October 21, 2016
7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
(Doors open at 6:00 p.m.)
Yale School of Management | 165 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, CT 06511
Registration is open at 6 pm. Teams should arrive at the venue no later than 6:30 p.m. Please bring identification as there is building security – a driver’s license is fine.
We have made a rule change this year –
- the first word of every round is a practice word. You cannot be eliminated on this word. This only applies for rounds 1 to 6. If you are in the final, the first word is an elimination word.
Some reminders –
- There will be scratch paper and pencils on the tables for all team members.
- Designate one person as the writer for the white board.
- When writing the word for the judges, please write clearly with large letters on the whiteboard.
- When the time is up, please hold your whiteboard up until you are told to put it down.
- Do not erase your whiteboard until you are told to do so.
- If you are eliminated – please stay on stage. Please turn down your team name so that it is clear you are out.
Parking in downtown New Haven is often limited and is restricted even more this year by construction that is filling the Peabody’s lot. There is a free Yale visitor parking lot across the street from the New Haven Masonic Temple. Lot 16.
Everyone is welcome to attend the Spelling Bee! The audience plays a huge role in making the evening magical. Bring a cheer squad for your team! Invite all your friends, relatives, neighbors, coworkers, classmates, and professors. Admission is free with a suggested $10 donation. We’d love to see them there!
Food & Drinks
We will not be serving a full meal at the Bee, so be sure to eat beforehand. Save some space for Shake Shack, who is generously doing a complimentary ice cream scooping! There will also be light hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar. Food and drinks are not allowed in the auditorium, so please plan accordingly.
Competition within a Competition
Along with evaluating your amazing spelling skills, our judges will also be nominating teams for best costume, best team name, and most spirit. We can’t wait to see your costumes! Most of last year’s teams dressed in costume. Some wore the same t-shirt or hat, others had more elaborate costumes. This is your chance to be creative!
We will have an opportunity for everyone to participate in a written audience bee throughout the evening where we ask you to spell five of the most commonly misspelled words. It is free to enter and you have the chance to win a Shake Shack gift card.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Fiona at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you this Friday!