The mission of New Haven Reads is “to share the joy and power of reading.”
To that end, our goals are to:
- promote literacy and celebrate reading
- connect people with the materials and the training they need to break the cycle of illiteracy
- help children in New Haven increase their literacy skills by providing quality, free after-school tutoring services to those who otherwise would not have access to adequate literacy support
- increase public awareness of these programs
- operate a free community book bank
Working in partnership with families and the community, New Haven Reads envisions a Greater New Haven in which every child has the opportunity to master reading and increase the odds of becoming a successful adult. Our volunteer-based one-on-one tutoring programs, our Book Bank, and our family support initiatives will serve as a national model for other communities.