New Haven Reads was founded by Christine Alexander. Our mission is “to share the joy and power of reading”. New Haven Reads provides an environment where children and adults have access to free books and tutoring to increase their literacy skills and academic performance.
Since 2001, New Haven Reads has grown from a powerful idea to a thriving center of literacy located in the Dixwell neighborhood of New Haven. Now working from three locations, we have doubled our physical size and the number of students and groups we serve.
- Kirsten Levinsohn, Executive Director
- Tanya Smith, Education Director and Parent Liaison
- Fiona Bradford, Assistant Director
- Eileen Davis, Business Manager
- Kristina Conroy, Kindergarten Program
- Leatrice Galloway, Receptionist
- Theresa Gielissen, Book Bank Manager and Bristol Assistant Site Director
- Keri Humphries, Outreach Coordinator
- Melissa Katz, Dixwell Site Director
- Lisa Loeb, Science Park Site Director
- Jackie Outka, Science Park Assistant Site Director
- Allison Pittman, Kindergarten Program
- Carol Sarmiento, Bristol Street Site Director
- Adela Schrader, Kindergarten Program Director
- Shelley Stein, Saturday Bristol Street Site Director
Volunteers are the soul of our organization. We now proudly count over 350 volunteers as part of our growing team. Volunteers work in the tutoring programs, in the Book Bank and in Book Distribution.
Board of Directors
In 2005 we incorporated and formed our first Board of Directors. The all-volunteer board is responsible for setting policy and ensuring the organization’s financial stability.